Australian Pelican chase (Gayle Lee)

If you can't find a pigeon-hole elsewhere, please post your observations here...

Moderators: Pat McConnell, Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Australian Pelican chase (Gayle Lee)

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Extract from and email sent: Monday, 13 April 2009 3:19 PM
Dear Mick,

I don’t know if you have recorded pelicans for the area this year but Olive suggested I should email you with my sighting.

Saturday 11/4/09 Steve and myself were travelling back to Wyreema from Toowoomba when I spotted 4 large birds flying overhead. At first I thought they may be common old ibis but on screwing my head around and looking up out the passenger window, I was able to identify 4 lovely Australian Pelicans lazily flapping and gliding in a south westerly direction. We tracked them out of the driver’s side window out over Vale view school and flying to the north of Cambooya. Steve couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about, but they are one of my favourite water birds.

So they flew through C3 C2 S1 and W4. What a buzz I had never seen them flying so low before. I remember seeing the years ago high up riding the thermal currents but never so low or straight.
Good work Gayle & Steve. Would not be surprised if a couple of those grid records (S1, W4) might be "firsts" for Australian Pelican.

Mick
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Bird notes”