White-headed Pigeons

If you can't find a pigeon-hole elsewhere, please post your observations here...

Moderators: Pat McConnell, Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

White-headed Pigeons

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Two birds feeding in camphor laurel around 4:30pm today at Margaret St/Curzon St T-junction. Interested to hear of other reports in town. Also keep your eyes open for Topknot Pigeons which occasionally feed in the camphor laurels in town too. We need 'em for the Challenge!
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Fielded

White-headed Pigeons at Middle Ridge, near golf course

Post by Fielded »

Hi Mick

I don't often see them around, but when I do it is usually on Rowbotham St and Flagstone Creek Road at Middle Ridge. I saw a small flock of 8 pigeons at 4:30pm on 19 May about 40m down from the intersection of Rowbotham St and Flagstone Ck Rd. They were feeding on the footpath under the dense cover of trees in that area.

I sometimes see one or two on the powerlines along Rowbotham between Spring and Stenner Streets.

Cheers

Darren.
Darren Fielder
Mick Atzeni

More White-headed Pigeons in Margaret St

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Six birds on the wires at the eastern end of Margaret St, near Dawnie St, yesterday around 4:30pm
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

White-headed Pigeon/Survey

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Single bird on the ground at the junction of Mary and Kitchener Sts Sunday arvo (9/7/06).

You may have gathered I've got a bit of a soft spot for White-headed Pigeons. I think it's quite ironic to be able to see such a shy "rainforest" bird so easily in suburban Toowoomba while the Camphor Laurels are fruiting. It's as though they've forgotten what they are and where they are, often feeding underneath the camphor laurels along busy tree-lined streets such as Ruthven, Margaret and Hume, oblivious to the passing traffic.

I'm curious how far they venture across town from the escarpment so I encourage you to report all sightings of this species. For the record, I've seen this species as far west as Anzac Avenue, both in the Drayton cemetery and opposite Clifford Gardens Shopping Centre, in the past.

Can anyone better that?
Michael Atzeni
Fielded

White-headed Pigeons on Margaret St, 25/7/06, 5:00pm

Post by Fielded »

Another pair of White-headed Pigeons just downhill from the corner of Curzon and Margaret St, near Toowoomba Grammar School.
Darren Fielder
Mick Atzeni

White-headed Pigeons in Margaret St

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Two birds on the wire at the same location Darren mentions (same two birds??) yesterday around 4pm.

Haven't seen any along Hume St, between Bridge and Jellicoe St, this season which is normally a reliable site for them too.
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

White-headed Pigeons in Toowoomba

Post by Mick Atzeni »

A single bird on the wire at the intersection of Curzon and Margaret St around 7am today. About the same time they started to appear regularly in town last year. Presumably the Camphor Laurels are now fruiting.

Once again I'm interested in all WHP sightings (numbers seen and locations) this season.

Thanks in advance.
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

White-headed Pigeons, East Toowoomba

Post by Mick Atzeni »

A single male on the wires at the intersection of Curzon and Margaret St around 8:15am today. Then a pair seen at the top of Margaret St on the wires around 5:10pm.

They've been pretty scarce so far this winter but this stretch of Margaret St should be a reliable place to look over the coming weeks based on past experience.
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

Guess what I saw - and where - this morning!

Post by Mick Atzeni »

A single White-hedaded Pigeon on the wires at the intersection of - you guessed it! - Curzon and Margaret Sts - in the drizzling rain around 8:15am this morning.

The only one I've seen since 20 July, so still relatively scarce in town this year.
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

White-headed Pigeons, East Toowoomba

Post by Mick Atzeni »

A single bird flew east across Curzon St near Margaret St 5:40pm 10/9/07.

Kay and Kev Williams inform me some are coming into a feeder, early morning and late afternoon, at a residence near Camp Toowoomba, Prince Henry Heights.
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

White-headed Pigeon, East Toowoomba

Post by Mick Atzeni »

As reported in Autumn Within, first sighting this season (1/5/2008) in the usual location (cnr of Curzon and Margaret Sts) which is about 3 weeks earlier than the past two years.

Always keen to know where these birds are feedling across town, particularly after the guts of many of Toowoomba's camphor laurels have been cut out to keep them clear of powerlines. The WHPs seem to avoid such trees.
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

Another one - guess where?

Post by Mick Atzeni »

A single bird this morning - you guessed it! - the same place as last time.

I haven't seen any others elsewhere in town yet. How about the rest of you?
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

And again ...

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Same bird (?), same place, 8:55am today.

Someone please find another one in town because I can't!

Cheers
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

Found some elsewhere

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Finally, turned up White-headed Pigeons elsewhere in Toowoomba this year! Two birds seen last Sunday (27/7) along Campbell St between Mary and Lindsay Sts.

As for the usual location, have seen 2-3 birds there three times over the past week. They appear to be roosting in the first camphor laurel on the left past Curzon St, as you head west down Margaret St.
Mick Atzeni

One female in the usual place

Post by Mick Atzeni »

A female White-headed Pigeon seen flying down Margaret St past the Curzon St T-junction around 4:55pm today.

Return to “Bird notes”