Painted Button-quail

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 Jun 2008 - 31 Aug 2009. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Painted Button-quail

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Yesterday afternoon I took a walk around the base of Picnic Point and back up Table Top Drive to home. In many sections along the edge of Table Top Drive, from its junction with the Picnic Point Bridle Trail to South Street, there are feeding platelets of button-quail. These are most likely of Painted Button-quail, as they are the common species in this area. Yesterday my mutt flushed three of this species towards the western end of Table Top Drive; a new bird for the "Winter Within - 2009" list.

The Queensland Blue Grass Trees (Xanthorrhoea glauca) along the Firetail Track have some beaut flower-spikes up at present that are attracting lots of insects including honey and native bees. Brown Honeyeaters were having a ball with the grasstrees' starry blossoms yesterday. These plants are well worth staking out for half an hour or so. Other birds seen yesterday on this walk included Australian King Parrot, Red-browed Finch, Red-backed Fairy-wren, Brown Quail and Silvereye. There were plenty of other small bush-birds about but I wasn't doing any concerted birding. Red-necked Wallabies were also quite common during my walk.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Winter Within - 2009”