Square-tailed Kite

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 Mar - 31 May 2010. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

sburke

Square-tailed Kite

Post by sburke »

Sunday 23/5/2010 1.15pm.

Coming home from my parents place in Wilsonton Heights I spotted a large raptor soaring above the rooftops. I followed it for about 10 minutes and confirmed that it was a Square-tailed Kite, likely to be the same as reported by Ken and Mick. It was soaring nonchalantly over the houses at no heigher than 100 metres and at one stage came down to 30 metres or so and gave me a great opportunity to check out the magnificent under-wing markings through the binoculars. What a spectacular raptor. :lol:

My parents have had three sightings at their house over the past ten days. Twice with a single bird and once with a pair of birds. The bird I watched on Sunday spent quite a lot of time around the Wilsonton Heights area before heading across the gully to Wilsonton High School and and then down the ridge to the DPI site on Tor Street before I lost it over near Bailey Henderson.

Please stay in the area bird/s.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Autumn Within - 2010”