Square-tailed Kite

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 Jun - 31 Aug 2010. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Square-tailed Kite

Post by Mick Atzeni »

John McAlpine whom I work with saw the Square-tailed Kite again yesterday over the former DPI (now DEEDI) complex, 203 Tor St, Wilsonton.

There has been a spate of sightings reported by members this year of this magnificent and normally scarce raptor including records from Warwick, Withcott, Ropely, Gatton, Upper Lockyer and Wilsonton. I've also noticed a few from around Brisbane on Eremaea website.
.://..eremaea.com/BirdlineRecentSi ... Birdline=7

It's an interesting phenomenon. Please keep reporting all sightings.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Mick Atzeni

Square-tailed Kite

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Saw three Square-tailed kites on the TBO raptor survey yesterday - one at a distance over Placid Hills, between Grantham and Gatton. Also a Brown Goshawk in same airspace. Then saw two STKs low over Gatton, near the railway line, one affording magnificent views and photographic opportunities. The Gatton birds are always on the cards this time of year.
Michael Atzeni
sburke

Wilsonton S/T Kite

Post by sburke »

Monday 25/6/2010 12.55pm

I have just returned from lunch. Most of my lunch break (11.30am to 12.15pm) was spent watching the majestic Wilsonton Square-tailed Kite from my parents front yard as it soared gracefully, but not much above eye height from my position, around Miranda Drive. It was being harassed quite heavily today by magpies, mynas, mudlarks and galahs and took refuge in a Cabbage-tree Palm at one stage which was about 80 metres away and gave me a chance to see it's pale face to perfection. More harrassment made it land on two TV antennae over the period I watched it and then I had to leave to do something else. Darn it :cry:

My father told me that he sees the S/T Kite so often now that he doesn't always give me a ring anymore to give me the opportunity to go over and have a squiz. I have assured him that I don't mind his phone calls at all :?

The beauty of the winter day has just been made that much more special.
Rod Hobson

Square-tailed Kite at Gatton

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

I'm sure there is a pair of Square-tailed Kites resident around Gatton given the number of sightings in the general vicinity of the township over quite a few years now. Although generally regarded as a nomadic species some established pairs of this raptor are known to be sedentary. I have travelled to Brisbane regularly over recent years and have seen the bird on several occasions over this time; along the highway between Grantham and Gatton and within Gatton itself. I have also sighted these birds over nearby Forest Hill on occasions. I've recorded this kite throughout the year in this area and sightings have not been confined solely to the cooler months.

My last sighting of the species there was about midday on the Sunday before last (20.06.2010). On this occasion I had good views of an adult bird circling low over the western edge of Gatton just on the upside of the railway bridge.

This bird doesn't appear to mind human contact at all. I remember a pair nesting in a house yard in the middle of Toogoom in Hervey Bay some years back. They nested in the same yard at least two years in succession, to my knowledge. These birds could also be seen regularly over other areas of Hervey Bay including Pialba and Urangan. I also remember seeing a pair nesting above the main car park at the QPWS Koala Centre at Daisy Hill in September 2003.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Last edited by Rod Hobson on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nicholas Matheson-Kozakis

Similar thoughts about STKs in and around Warwick

Post by Nicholas Matheson-Kozakis »

Mum and I were entertaining similar thoughts about STKs nesting here in Warwick. Every year for the last five years (at least that is as long as I've been interested) we've seen STKs a number of times. This year we saw a pair over the park in front of the hospital, (that was in February) and at about the same time last year we saw a pair courting near The SCOTS PGC College Senior School Campus. About three years ago I saw one fly into a bush in front of me on Briggs Oval at school and extract a tasty lizard morsel!

On average we would approximately see one every three months. We've had them flying over our house (which is near the hospital) a number of times, but more often than not we see them flying among the eucalypts around school, the hills behind the campus and the Condamine River in front of it. I guess seeing the pair at about the same time in two consecutive years sparked the thought of them nesting here.

Thanks, Nick :D
NICHOLAS MATHESON-KOZAKIS
Rod Hobson

Square-tailed Kite at Highfields

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

A friend of mine, the bat guru Bruce Thomson just e-mailed to report a Square-tailed Kite over his house yard at 23 Merrol Street, Highfields last Sunday, 4th July.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Mick Atzeni

Square-tailed Kites

Post by Mick Atzeni »

A pair of Square-tailed Kites low over the treetops at the Helendale estate, near Helidon Spa this morning.
Michael Atzeni

Return to “Winter Within - 2010”