Powerful Owl at Highfields Falls

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 Jun - 31 Aug 2010. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Powerful Owls at Highfields - Russell's back in town!

Post by Mick Atzeni »

I won't say anything, other than Russell Jenkins is over from Japan at the moment and, armed with camera, tried for the Powerful Owls yesterday with Kev and Kay Williams. Hot off the press, his blog says the rest ...

.://russelljenkinsstoop.blogspot.com/

Cheers
Mick
Last edited by Mick Atzeni on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Whoops! Have since updated my blog. Breaking news can be found here:

.://russelljenkinsstoop.blogspot.com ... amily.html

Happy birding!

Russell :D
Rod Hobson

Powerful Owl Pellet Analysis

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Of the seven regurgitated pellets that I collected from under the Powerful Owl roost at Highfields Falls on 09th. July Barbara Triggs has identified the remains of a glider, Petaurus sp. (probably Sugar Glider, P. breviceps) (hair, humerus, femur and other bones); Grey-headed Flying-fox, Pteropus poliocephalus (hair, skull, other bones) and Greater Glider, Petauroides volans (hair, bones). Three pellets also contained unidentified feathers and one contained unidentified seeds.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Mick Atzeni

Powerful Owls

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

Managed to locate both fledglings together and then both adults together on Sunday afternoon, in the same general area as previously reported. Lifers for the five people with me including a couple of local residents who tagged along and were amazed, as they walk through there regularly and couldn't believe how they had never noticed such massive birds. :? :)

Cheers
Mick
sburke

Post by sburke »

G'day all,

Just got back from Victoria and couldn't wait to get out to the Falls to check on the chicks. Both were there near the waterfall but the parents were not to be seen.

PS. Love all the photo's people are getting.

Cheers

Return to “Winter Within - 2010”