Freckled Duck and Brush Bronzewing

For those doing a Big Year, or similar, report your progress here.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

gileas

Freckled Duck and Brush Bronzewing

Post by gileas »

Hi all,

The last week has been good to me bird-wise, with two difficult birds added to my year list. The first was Freckled Duck, at the Beaudesert Racecourse as reported on this forum by Steve McBride (thanks again Steve for the timely report). I was doubly fortunate, as by midday the next day the bird wasn't there anymore, as Andrew Stafford dipped after a thorough search of the wetland. It is possible the bird is moving around a bit and could still be in the area, as there is a lot of water around at the moment.

My second new bird of the week was a Brush Bronzewing at Cooloola NP. I finally managed to get one from the Thomas & Thomas Ground Parrot site, along with great flight views of King Quail and 3 more Ground Parrots. We also had very satisfying views of Black-breasted Button-Quail at Inskip, though Fairy Gerygone and Southern Emu-wren still elude me.

With my year at 332, I am starting to feel like my silly total of 350 might actually be within my grasp. With a few easy birds left to get, and not having visited Lamington NP at all yet, I can make it to 340 for sure, and the remaining ten, though requiring some luck and some hard work, should be possible.

If I do break 350, I'll see how many more I can get!

Regards,
Chris Sanderson

Return to “Solo efforts”