Catching up on 350

For those doing a Big Year, or similar, report your progress here.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

gileas

Catching up on 350

Post by gileas »

Well, I've been a bit slack reporting my last few weeks, mostly because I've been getting out birding. Since re-attaining my figure of 340 with Mallard, I've raced ahead to 346!

Bird #341 was, finally, Red-browed Treecreeper. I managed to first find one at the Wivenhoe Outlook after 4 unsuccessful visits, but then also to see many at Spicer's Gap, including some amazingly close views.

Bird #342 and #343 were on the same day, both at Manly Shorebird Roost. A friend reported a pair of Radjah Shelduck on the island in the roost, and the promise of this for my year list was too much to resist. On nipping out there I also managed to pick up a Red Knot on the mudflats, though on the Sunday we had a flock of 160 Red Knot on our QWSG Port of Brisbane count!

Bird #344, 345 and 346 were all yesterday at Point Lookout, QLD. With Colin Reid and Stuart Warren I was lucky enough to be there for the early stages of the Short-tailed Shearwater migration (344). We also had a Brown Booby, which I had missed on a number of occasions previously. The best bird of the day though was an old adult Wandering Albatross! That brings my total Albatross species for the year to 3, and I was never sure I would even get one!

Next up, I have a trip to the Lockyer on Tuesday to try and finally nail Red-kneed Dotterel, Little Bronze-cuckoo and Blue-winged Kookaburra. If I have time I might also try for Rod's Red-chested Button-quails.

Regards,
Chris Sanderson

Return to “Solo efforts”