Swifts: Things are looking up - perhaps ...

Provided flooding rains don't spoil the party again, only slackness will prevent us nailing 230+ species this year.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Swifts: Things are looking up - perhaps ...

Post by Mick Atzeni »

From what I've seen, there has been a dearth of swifts this season - I've probably seen no more than 100 white-throated Needletails over a handful of sightings since Spring.

And no one reported Fork-tailed Swifts last year at all, which is why I wish to draw your attention to this Birding-Aus posting from swift enthusiast Mike Tarburton, who is concerned about their decline, regarding a massive flock passing over Townsville recently and possibly headed south, and to urge you to be aware of what's going on above you because, unfortunately, they don't yell out "We're here!":

.://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/bir ... 00036.html

A few years ago, FTSs did invade the skies en masse above Toowoomba; I was fortunate to witness their arrival on my way to work that day, a constant stream between Mt Lofty and Wilsonton. Thousands of them. Thereafter, FTSs hung around the area in loose flocks for quite a while.

So look up and check the heavens for cigar-shaped swifts with white rumps and forked tails - but don't forget the car in front of you.

Please report all swift sightings (numbers, date, time, location) for Mike Tarburton's research.

Thanks
Mick
Last edited by Mick Atzeni on Thu May 31, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
smyliekylie

Swifts

Post by smyliekylie »

Mission accepted :) Will report and try to photograph anything that looks like a flying cigar with fork tail.
Rod Hobson

Summer Swifts

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

To date since the start of spring 2011 I've recorded White-throated Needletail at Barakula Forestry headquarters on 03.11.11; "Tiddalac"on the 12.11.11; Turkey Mountain in Barakula State Forest on the 22.11.11; Burncluith State Forest on the 24.11.11, Rennicks Road at Burncluith on 25.11.11 and over the QPWS depot in Russell Street in Dalby on 09.12.11. In all instances the flocks have only been small, never exceeding about 20 individuals. Stormy conditions have been a feature of all of these sightings.

I spent Tuesday and half of Wednesday this week working in Brisbane. On Tuesday night I stayed with Dave Harper, a mate who lives in Drake Street in Everton Park. Dave is in charge of field work for the Northern Hairy-nosed Wombat relocation project near St. George. His Drake Street home is high above the central business area of Brisbane with this spectacular city-scape at its feet; very leafy and a great location. Brisbane, what a great city. Born in Toowoomba but give me Brissie any day. Anyway, on Tueday afternoon we were having a few beers and watching the storm clouds convulsing over The City. There were about a dozen White-throated Needletails overhead at one stage, "Riders on the Storm". They disappeared about 6.00 pm when the rain hammered down awhile. After the rain the Grey-headed Flying-foxes took the stage.

The swifts were about again yesterday morning at this same address, at about 7.00am, approximately 25-30 birds. Another friend of mine, Darren Phillips, who also lives in Everton Park said that these swifts have been about fairly regularly in this area since before Christmas. Darren is a keen birder. We also saw needletails later yesterday morning on our drive in to work and closer to The City centre.

I've not seen any Fork-tails this spring/summer though.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Mick Atzeni

Fork-tailed Swift found in Toowoomba CBD

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

Learnt from wildlife carer Trish LeeHong, Wildlife Rescue Rehabilition & Education Association .://..wildliferescueeducation.org/ today that on 27/1/12 the RSPCA handed her an injured Fork-tailed Swift that a member of the public found on the northern edge of the Toowoomba CBD (near Brumby's Bakery, Ruthven St, between Chalk Drive and Bowen St). It had hit a window and unfortunately died next day.

Nonetheless, a likely new bird for the year (pending confirmation) and one more piece to Mike Tarburton's jigsaw puzzle. Thanks to Trish for letting us know.

Cheers
Mick
Mick Atzeni

Final call for swift sightings for Mike Tarburton's report.

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

Mike Tarburton is about to finalise his annual national report. I've just sent him some I had as per email thread below. Please post sightings to Mike ASAP if you want them in the report.
Mike

My sightings this season at home, viz.,"Tiddalac", 68 Thomas Rd, Upper Lockyer 4352. Note the 2mo gap between penultimate and last sighting. They were very conspicuous by their absence; I was looking out for them and FTS regularly in the intervening period and I only saw the one bird on 25/3. Hope this fills in a few gaps for you.

20 x WTNT, 0705hrs 12/11/11
4 x WTNT, 0800hrs 27/11/11
20 x WTNT, 1845hrs 29/11/11
3 x WTNT on dusk 3/12/11
6 x WTNT, 1830hrs 22/1/12
1 x WTNT, 0700hrs 25/3/12

Cheers
Mick
0458 9489 55

----- Original Message -----
To: "Michael Atzeni" <matzeni@westnet.com.au>
Sent: Monday, 21 May, 2012 11:42:53 AM GMT +10:00 Canberra / Melbourne / Sydney
Subject: Re: WTNT & FTS

G'day Mick

Thank you very much for sharing these reports. I had not picked them up even though I did a general internet search only yesterday prior to placing the summary on Birding-Aus. I will hold the summary up a couple of days in the hope that you have time to send me your obs before it goes.

Cheers & Many thanks

Mike
===================
Michael Tarburton
tarburton.m@optusnet.com.au
===================

On 21/05/2012, at 12:07 AM, Michael Atzeni wrote:

Mike

Couple of belated records, both from Steve Burke while he was on holidays at 1770.

4 x WTNT 1/1/12
17 x WTNT 2/1/12

Also did you see the 16 April report from Norma & Wes Sturdee posted 16/5?

I will get back to you with mine; had them written out for you then misplaced them!

Cheers
Mick
0458 9489 55

----- Original Message -----
To: "Michael Atzeni" <matzeni@westnet.com.au>
Sent: Tuesday, 3 April, 2012 9:13:26 PM GMT +10:00 Canberra / Melbourne / Sydney
Subject: Re: WTNT & FTS

Thanks Mick

Yes I got Pats 2 sightings. Thanks also for the tip on using the search. Got some but not all have numbers of birds seen & I think some of yours are still missing. I got flocks of 1 and 12 today.

Cheers

Mike
===================
Michael Tarburton
tarburton.m@optusnet.com.au
===================
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Mick Atzeni

Annual report

Post by Mick Atzeni »