Pheasant Coucal mistaken for a koel

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 Jun 2012 - 31 Aug 2012. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone/Fordsdale area SE of Helidon.
Barb Learmonth

Pheasant Coucal mistaken for a koel

Post by Barb Learmonth »

Female koel seen at 16 Niddrie Drive 6/6/12
Barb Learmonth
Mick Atzeni

Koel in winter

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Hi Barb

Is this bird still hanging around?? Very unusual record for winter - possibly a first - so would appreciate it if you could complete a Rare/Unusual Bird Report.

Thanks
Mick
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Barb Learmonth

Koel

Post by Barb Learmonth »

OK Mick.
I took some photos. Haven't seen it since.
Barb Learmonth
Mick Atzeni

Cold, but not so koel

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

Barb's photos have revealed the bird was in fact a Pheasant Coucal, in non-breeding plumage, sitting high up in a gum. Actually, Barb concluded this herself after she checked the photos and consulted a better field guide. Good on you Barb; glad this one has been rectified.

Incidentally, I noted in my diary I saw a Pheasant Coucal in breeding plumage 20th April at home. I can't say definitely it was the last but I have only seen birds in non-breeding plumage for the past 3-4 weeks. The plumage transition from breeding to non-breeding is something I have never bothered to look out for though I will in future. One reason for this, is that for most of my life I had assumed the non-breeding birds were just females until I had cause to finally read the description. In fact, as I write this, I can't even recall seeing two coucals together (but surely I must have!), let alone two engaged in courtship, which is probably why it took so long for the penny to drop. I can't tell you when they acquire breeding plumage either, or even if some birds retain their breeding plumage all year round.

So much to learn ...

Cheers
Mick

Return to “Winter Within - 2012”